Effective Date: June, 22 2012
Last Reviewed: June, 22 2012
Department Chairpersons must evaluate all non-tenured faculty members on an annual basis. All tenured faculty members are evaluated every three years unless the Chairperson or the Dean of the Faculty deems it necessary to evaluate a faculty member more frequently.
Normally, faculty evaluations are due by June 30 of each year. The following serve as guidelines for Department Chairpersons:
- Teaching effectiveness, based on:
- A review of student and peer evaluations of teaching (other than course evaluations for first year faculty which are formative only).
- Nature of courses taught, based on course syllabuses, assignments, and teaching materials.
- Supervision of directed studies, internships, field studies
- Advising students on curricular matters, post-graduate plans, etc.
- Helping students with problems in their courses
- Participating in departmental meetings and projects (and effectiveness of same)
- Conscientiously carrying out obligations to students - meeting classes regularly, advance notification of unavoidable absence, keeping office hours, returning assignments and examinations within a reasonable period of time, etc.
- Participating in faculty seminars and other campus academic and co curricular activities
- Stimulating interest in cultural, political, and social affairs
- Encouraging interdepartmental dialogue
- Experimenting with innovative pedagogy
- Participating in committee functions
- Research, scholarship, publication, etc.
- Presenting at regional, national and international professional meetings
- Active membership in professional societies
Should the Chairperson make recommendations for improvement in any area, the Chairperson and the faculty member should work together to develop a plan of action to address such recommendations.